Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Museum Review: Academy of Artists

Okay, so I'll be the first to admit that when I first got to this museum, I didn't have my hopes very high. I mean, sure, it COULD be interesting, but nine chances out of ten, I was going to be bored silly; I had no idea what kind of art they would show, how the inside of the museum would look, etc.

Well, I am SO happy to say that my expectations were proven to be wrong. The Museum of Artists, after a rocky start, turned out to be AMAZING. The first part of the museum was Russian Neorealism-- which, I'll admit, could be hit or miss-- but they had this AWESOME section on Soviet politics, of which I took a bunch photos. Then they had maps, drawings of buildings... I was rather pleased.

Then there's the actual building itself. The Academy of Artists is located in an actual palace-- that's the reason why the building normally stands out on most tourist maps. One of the rooms in the Neorealist art section is actually dedicated to an artist named Titan; his paintings cover massive panels on the walls, and are rather awesome to look at.

Statues, older artwork, newer artwork... This museum made me rather happy. Worth noting is the modern Russian artwork; you have no idea how hard I laughed (internally) when I saw a painting of a hockey game sitting in a museum. Ah, Russia....

Academy of Artists

No comments:

Post a Comment