Friday, September 28, 2012

The Cat Formerly Known as Prince

This week seems to be animal themed, as circumstance has left me with no material but household pets and personal anecdotes this week. So, rather than fight the curve, I've decided to continue with one more amusing animal story concerning an animal briefly mentioned in another one of my posts: the cat that uses the shower as a litter box.

Today, I visited the apartment of the cat who poops in the shower; and as I pet the cat, which was acting conveniently cute and innocent, I asked its owner why it was that the cat did that, as it was very bizarre and unusual in both the US and Russia.

And the owner's tale began like this:

When the owner first bought the cat, she bought the cat a litter box, which the cat happily used. However, this was a very intelligent cat, and after several weeks of using the litter box, it noticed that all the humans used this big, strange white thing to go to the restroom.

(We humans call this a toilet. It is called "strange white litter box" in native Catonese.)

 For several days, the cat puzzled over the strange white litter box, trying to figure out on its own how it could use such a strange device. Finally, in frustration, it decided that such a piece of technology was far too complicated, and gave up.

But lo and behold! Not far from the toilet was yet another type of strange white litter box!

Yup, this is where the story starts to make sense





Having thus found its own big white litter box, the cat forsook the primitive ancient ways of the sandy litter box and refused to use anything else. No matter what the owner did, the cat always preferred the big white litter box, so it could feel like a person; and once the owner realized that the big white litter box was easier to keep clean, she relented and allowed the cat to claim the giant white litter box as its own.

At first, I was skeptical of this explanation, because why would a cat learn bathroom hygiene from humans? I chortled just like anyone else would when its owner explained that it was a smart cat, and understood everything people say. And then, as if it was on purpose, she ordered the cat to stop doing something, and it did.

Let me clarify: this cat has a nasty habit of playing really rough in the middle of cuddle sessions. Take today, for example. The cat was sitting on my lap, purring and rubbing its face into my hands; everything was nice, and calm. And then, suddenly, the cat bit into my hand, dug its claws into my arm, and attacked every part of my body that dared move in its presence. (Suffice it to say, the cat was promptly booted off, and lap privileges were summarily revoked.)

Normally, when I start muttering (or cursing) at the cat in English, the cat happily ignores me and continues chomping and clawing away. However, the owner knew its secret; and when the cat started trying to bite her, she looked at it, calmly said no in Russian, and... The cat immediately stopped. After several moments, the cat tried again, and after a gentle but firm rebuke from its owner (again in Russian), the cat stopped its rampage and returned to happily licking her.

I was floored. This cat is actually... smart. And now I know its secret.

So, if your cat ever starts pooping in the shower, feel honored that your cat is smart enough to think it's a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment