Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Peter and Paul Fortress: An Overview

YES!!!! After a day of my camera being stupid and life sucking up my... well... life, I have returned victorious!! And with plenty of shinies on hand, I shall begin!

So, on Monday, Princess and I finally saw the Peter and Paul Fortress. Was it worth it?

Well, for students, it's free, so on that token, it's a price I'm totally willing to pay. (*Cue Student ID Song*) However, for the general populace, I would still highly recommend it-- a general daily ticket gets you into 4 very interesting exhibits, which shall have their own little explanations and pictures.

These exhibits are:

1) The Burial Cathedral;
2) The History of Saint Petersburg exhibit;
3) The Prison; and
4) The Commandant's House.

(Not that I happened to see everything in that order or anything... Moving on.)

Now, the cost for the entirety of the Peter and Paul Fortress is a bit more-- the daily ticket gets you access to the aforementioned exhibits, but there is also an entire panorama tour, apparently, that can be bought at another ticket booth, plus individual exhibits such as the torture exhibit (pictures not included), the collection of Peter the Great (pictures also not included-- far too depressing), and the dragon exhibit (ridiculous amounts of pictures included). All three exhibits were quite interesting, but it felt... inhumane and inconceivable to post pictures of Peter the Great's Collection of genetic oddities (meaning entire walls of babies preserved in jars) or the history of torture in Russia (with people hanging from the rack and drawn illustrations of how elbow breakers work).

Overall, there's a reason why the Peter and Paul Fortress is one of the most important and famous places in St. Petersburg, and in Russia in general. In fact, this fortress helped ignite the start of the Russian Revolution. It's the perfect combination of entertaining, educational, and shiny.

See the shiny??
(I'll have posts for the exhibits and my reviews in separate posts after this one. This was just my first attempt at shrugging off the Demotivation Monster.)

No comments:

Post a Comment