Sunday, November 18, 2012

Museum Review: Yelagin Palace (and Central Park)

This palace is directly next to the Museum of Glass Art. Well, I guess the more accurate statement would be "The Museum of Glass Art is built on the grounds of the Yelagin Palace"; but who cares about accuracy, anyway?

This palace was home to the mother of one of the tsars, making me wish that I could be a tsaritsa (it's pretty much the Russian equivalent of a princess) and wake up in a house like that. Everything was beautiful, and absolutely gorgeous-- turns out people back then really knew how to decorate.

The palace isn't particularly gigantic, but the gorgeousness of the place more than makes up for it. It's nowhere near as ritzy as the Yusopov Palace, but I think it's more enchanting because I could actually picture myself LIVING in a place like that, as opposed to the Yusopov Palace or the Hermitage (where I would get hopelessly lost).

Also, this time, Princess and I got in free, but only because we are students at an institute of CULTURE. The lady even verified what institute we were at before handing us the free tickets, which was nice since free is our favorite price.

Overall, when in St. Petersburg, I would recommend a day or two to walk through the two parks-- Central Park and Park Pobediy (which, oddly enough, does not have its own post; I am quite shocked)-- not only because it's quite beautiful during the spring, summer, and fall, but because these two museums are perfect for stopping by and checking out.

Additionally, Princess and I specifically got the билет (pronounced "bee-let") so that we could see all three parts of the Yelagin Palace. For example, outside of the ticket counter, there is a mini-museum of exhibits for particular artists. (For example, when we went yesterday, we thought the first half of the exhibit-- the lower floor-- was amazing, and that the upper floor sucked. One was photos that were less artistic than just poorly done [I'm sorry, a five year old could have taken some of them-- yes, this is the one on the second floor]; the other was  a painter who only worked on materials. Her artwork was absolutely gorgeous-- I never knew paint on wool could be so beautiful.)

Anyways, both the parks and the museums receive nothing but thumbs up from me, and hopefully after seeing all these pictures, you'll agree.

Yelagin Palace

No comments:

Post a Comment