Sunday, November 4, 2012

Church Review: St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral and Church of Ss Isidor and Nicholas

Both of these churches are absolutely fantastic to look at from the outside, though I have no idea how the interior is as we did not enter either of them. (It seemed like a bad thing to do, entering a church on a day of worship in order to gawk like a tourist.)

These two houses of worship are being reviewed together because they are literally down the street from each other. The first, and most famous, is the St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral, and it is the easiest to spot.

 


The next church, the Church of Saints Isidore and Nicholas, was one of the most wonderful churches to see, simply because it contained a color that I have not seen on any other church: green.

 

The website on which I read about this church said that the inside was not much to look at; however, even if it had been, it wouldn't have made a difference, simply because the majority of the churches (and cathedrals) that Princess and I have visited were in use, meaning that acting like my touristy self would have been entirely unacceptable and inappropriate. And how can I write about these gorgeous churches if I get myself blacklisted from religious establishments?

So, I can highly recommend these churches-- they're surprisingly close to St. Isaac's Cathedral and Admiralteiskaya metro station, plus when walking from Sennaya Ploschad, one walks directly past the Central Train Museum (review coming up in just a bit) and Yusopov Park, which is quite pretty. Even from just a "stand outside and snap photos", these churches (or cathedrals-- whatever) are entirely worth the time and walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment