Sunday, November 18, 2012

Museum Review: Museum of Glass Art

Right off the bat, I have to say that I am biased towards these sorts of things, and that anything that is super shiny will make me hysterically happy with joy.

That being said, this museum is my favorite. Ever.

Is it sad that I find a museum filled with nothing but glass better than the Hermitage? Yes, probably. But for sheer entertainment value, (or the level to which I was excited), this museum was the best that I've seen, and by far the most entertaining.

Another benefit to this museum: This museum is directly next door to the Yelagin Palace (why, as a matter of fact, yes, there is a review of that coming up in the near future; how did you know?) and in the middle of Central Park-- you know, the area in which I had a photo-taking spree of nothing but lake shots? (It's quite eerie to compare the lake shots of yester-visit to the gray, dull, rainy reality of my visit yesterday. Are there photos? Well, when are there not?)

The museum starts with an explanation of how glass art is made (all in Russian, but with a very helpful video on the side), followed by countless examples of different kinds of glass. The art can range from classical vases (with awesome etchings in them) to crazy works of art that can only be understood by finding the right angle. (There was one which I still don't know what the proper angle should have been.)

I highly, HIGHLY recommend this museum. For students, the ticket is free; and everything is so beautiful that even though the museum is small, it is worth every single moment.

The Museum of Glass Art

No comments:

Post a Comment