Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Update for the day

It's been a CRAZY couple of days-- I actually still haven't gotten around to reviewing half of the things we saw this weekend (the Cossack Church, the Lutheran Cemetery) or even what we did today (the Synagogue and parts of the Hermitage), but I like to think that I've been keeping a relatively steady stream of moderately informative content.

Before I put up a restaurant review (and hopefully unveil the traumatic but victorious end of four days' worth of unsuccessful baking), I wanted to highlight a couple of things about being a tourist in Russia:

1) The very best way to come here is as a student. I know this isn't always possible; but there are so many benefits to coming to Russia, armed with a student ID. (Adding on to the long list of things with free access, ALL parts of the Hermitage are free to students, regardless of nationality. That's pretty awesome.)

2) Be aware that the only way you might end up getting cultural excursions is by creating them for yourself. When Princess and I left for Russia, we had been told that the Institute would set up excursions for us. (Suffice it to say, that never happened.) Use the internet; look at maps. You'll never believe what you'll find.

3) The "shiny" method is the best way to go. What is the shiny method, might you ask? It's something I came up with in order to describe my short attention span-- in other words, if you see something "shiny" (something you like, think looks interesting, etc.), do it. You'd be surprised by how many things you discover just by ditching plans and going spur-of-the-moment. And, obviously, while it's good to have an idea of what's around, this is the best way to find those hidden jewels (like Happiness) that aren't on the map.

4) Try not to take it personally. In this one, I'm specifically talking about doing anything that's predominantly male-oriented when you're a female in Russia. Those who know me would fall over in shock to see me in class: instead of talking incessantly (hey, I readily admit it), I normally stay out of conversation unless someone specifically engages me. (True, it also has to do with the fact that my Russian is still not quite up to par; but more than that, it's because I know where I fit in the cultural scheme of things.) I've had to bite back my pride as guys have gone down the line of people, shaking hands, thrust a hand towards me, then saw I was female, freeze, and draw back. I've had to smile and act appreciative when a white belt who had absolutely no idea what he was doing decided it would be helpful if he tried to correct me the moment I started doing any move with him, sometimes even grabbing me in the middle of something and trying to change my body position. (He was totally wrong, by the way.)

But in the end, I've grinned and born it; not because I feel that it's the proper way to go about things (not by a long shot), but because I've realized these things take time. Sure, at first they probably thought I was pathetic because I can't do half the things that they can; but the longer I've been here, and the more they've seen me try, the more they'll take things down a notch for me, so that instead of trying to dive roll over a standing person (which is terrifying), I have to dive roll over a kneeling person (which, for me, is also still terrifying, but not to the same extent); when they're doing front handsprings, they'll let me do the baby steps, and not get frustrated when it takes me a while. In fact, they've figured out that I've done Judo before, and while people still look a bit irritated when they have to pair with me, I'm realizing it's less because I'm "the young lady" and more because I think I might have a reputation of being really hard to throw. (Whoops.)

Additionally, doing things their way has made it easier when I start doing things mine. At first, I was afraid to punch things; but once I started hitting that glorious "punching bag" (which I still insist is several blocks of wood screwed into the wall with some padding and a cover nailed on top), I felt so much better, and the guys started understanding that Judo isn't necessarily my emphasis. And apparently, mentioning UFC and MMA as a means of asking if anyone there does sparring is THE best way to earn street cred with ridiculously talented and in shape Russian martial artists. (Totally wasn't the intention-- I just wanted to spar someone, and didn't know the word in Russian-- but it has some nice benefits.)

All I'm trying to say with this, is that just because things are DIFFERENT doesn't mean that you won't be able to make them work. It'll take a bit of time to adjust, and to tweak your own habits accordingly; but as long as you try not to take things personally, and roll with whatever happens, you'll find yourself having much more fun than you ever expected.

Anyways, now that I officially have two epic posts coming up in the future (both which, unfortunately, must be completed tomorrow), I have just this to say: your time in Russia is yours alone. Make as much, or as little, of it as you wish; however, just remember that at the end of the day, make sure you've done your trip with no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment